Recovering Data from Android, Windows Phone and Apple iOS Devices
As a manufacturer of a fairly extensive range of data recovery tools, we are often asked if we can develop a data recovery tool for Android, Apple iOS and, just recently, for Windows Phone. Since we are getting more and more of these questions every week, we decided to post an official statement.
There will be no native mobile data recovery tools from our company. Not for iOS, not for Android, and not for Windows Phone. There is a good reason why.Read more
Recovering Data from Failed Hard Drives
While in our experience human error accounts for roughly 80% of all occurrences of data loss, the other 20% are hardware failures. Today we are going to discuss a special case of recovering information from still working, but barely breathing magnetic hard drives.Read more
Avoiding Data Loss with Removable Storage Devices
There are three simple rules to avoid data loss on removable storage media.
– Use Unmount or Safe Remove to safely eject the device
– Do not remove the storage device while in use
– Disable write cache for removable storage devices
Recovering Data from SSD Drives
In the first article called “How SSD Drives Permanently Erase Deleted Data” we described the reasons for SSD drives to erase your data permanently as soon as you erase a file, quick-format the disk or delete a partition. Sounds scary, doesn’t it? However, this is not always the case. More often than not, your files will still be there on the SSD drive, ready to be recovered. Let’s see when this happens.Read more
How SSD Drives Permanently Erase Deleted Data
In the last series consisting of two articles “How Data Recovery Works” and “How Carving Works”, we looked at how Windows deletes files and how information is left on the hard drive and not automatically erased or overwritten. Well, this is not always the case with SSD drives. In this article we’ll see why.Read more
How Data Carving Works
This post continues series of articles about the internal mechanisms of today’s data recovery tools.
In “How Data Recovery Works”, we looked at how file recovery tools can recover deleted files by using the file system. But what if the file was deleted a long time ago, and its file system record no longer exists? Or what if the disk was formatted or repartitioned and the file system is empty or missing? Finally, what if the file system is overwritten by another file system (such as that used by Linux or Ubuntu if you experimented with an alternative OS)? If this is the case, traditional file recovery tools will fail to recover anything.Read more
How Data Recovery Works
In recent years, we’ve seen a large number of tools marketed as data recovery solutions. However, when testing some of these tools, we discovered that not all of them are fit to the job. The major differentiating factor is the type (or types) of data recovery algorithms used in these tools. But first let’s look at what happens when Windows deletes a file.Read more
Life Inside an SD Card: Storage Reliability and Recoverability
In Part I of this article, we discussed how microcontrollers are used in all SD cards to hide physical chip defects to create an illusion of contiguous, reliable storage. Today we’ll talk about how reliable (or unreliable) SD cards are when used for storing actual data, and what to do if you have a corrupted one.Read more